1 Day Gorilla Trekking Uganda – Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi from Kigali
1 day gorilla trekking Uganda is a short Uganda gorilla tour uniquely designed to let you immerse yourself into the jungles to see mountain gorillas. The short gorilla trekking tour introduces you into Bwindi Impenetrable National Park to see a family of habituated mountain gorillas. The 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda tour in Bwindi National Park will start and end in Kigali/from Kisoro or Kabale.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is found in Southwestern Uganda, featuring an extensive tropical forest- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest where over 459 mountain gorillas all live.
Bwindi was established as one of the National Parks in Uganda in 1991 and in 1994, it was officially designated as a UNESCO Heritage Site. In 1993, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park was opened for gorilla trekking with Mubare gorilla group being the first habituated family to be trekked.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park occupies 331sq.kms of land area in Kabale District and has 4 main sectors- Ruhija, Rushaga, Nkuringo and Buhoma. In Bwindi National Park alone, there are over 120 mammal species that include mountain gorillas; 360 bird species, 1000 flowering plants, 220 butterfly species, 163 species of trees, 104 fern species to mention but a few. 20 habituated mountain gorilla families are all open for gorilla trekking in Bwindi National Park.
Detailed itinerary for 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda
Pick up early by your experienced driver guide at 4:00am to start your 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda journey with packed breakfast. This is for those of you who will be starting your journey to Bwindi from Kigali cross over to Kisoro/Kabale, and if you set off from Kisoro/Kabale, you will be picked up at 6:00am.
From Kigali to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in Kabale is 3-4 hours’ drive and upon early arrival, briefing will be conducted by park official. This will be the time for you to get know the gorilla trekking rules and regulations, gorilla group to be trekked and the park guide allocated to take you through gorilla trekking.
It will be a long day of search for mountain gorillas about 2-6 hours and this is why you should come along with some packed lunch/snacks and plenty of drinking water. When you come across gorillas, count it a dream come true- expect to spend one hour face to face, learn more on how they behave while maintaining a distance of 8-10m, take as many pictures as you can.
After a magical interaction, start returning to briefing point depending on the region (Ruhija, Rushaga, Buhoma or Nkuringo). Get a gorilla trekking certificate at park offices and meet your driver guide ready to return to Kigali via Katuna/Chanika border. Arrive early at Kigali and this will mark the end of your 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda.
End of 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda
- Valid Uganda gorilla permits- @ at USD700
- Lunch & bottled water
- Ground travel in a 4WD vehicle
- Park entrance fees & guide services
Tour package excludes
- Air ticket/airfares
- Optional activities on 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda
- Personal insurance
Gorilla trekking guidelines to follow during 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda
- Each gorilla permit in Bwindi is issued to only persons of 15 years and above.
- A distance of 8 to 10m should be maintained at all times from gorillas.
- Put on a facemask, regularly sanitize your hands as a measure to curb spread of coronavirus to gorillas.
- Only 8 visitors shall be allocated to track one gorilla family.
- Upon getting a gorilla family, only one hour is guaranteed for you to enjoy a face to face encounter and taking photos.
- Always keep your voices low while tracking gorillas in Bwindi.
- All visitors on gorilla tour in Bwindi must have valid gorilla permits each costing USD700.
- Don’t touch a gorilla while on gorilla trekking even when it rubs itself on you.
- Stay calm when gorilla charge- observe the guide’s instructions and avoid direct eye contact.
- If you happen to be sick or show any signs of illness-flu etc, you won’t be allowed to go track gorillas.
Things to pack for 1 day gorilla trekking Uganda
- Daypack (find waterproof one)
- Camera (free from flashlight)
- Long sleeved shirts
- Gardening gloves
- Insect repellents
- Bottled water
- Rain jacket/poncho
Best time to visit Uganda for gorilla trekking-one day gorilla tour
Dry season is without doubt the best time of the year to enjoy a thrilling Uganda gorilla trekking experience. This often occurs from June to September, December to February- the best months of the year with low or no rains and trails kept relatively drier.